Villa Aldobrandini Rome
Address and opening hours
The address of the Villa Aldobrindini is Via Mazzarino, 11 – Rome. The park is open from sunrise to sunset. The three pavilions at the edge of the park are not accessible.
History and description
The Villa Aldobrandini towers above the Via Nazionale. It was built in the second half of the 16th century by architect Carlo Lombardi for the Vitelli family. Lombardi enlarged the entrance by building a loggia on top of it.
Near the entrance, some of the 2nd century ruins on which the villa was built can still be seen.
At the beginning of the 17th century Cardinal Pietro Aldobrandini had the villa enlarged again by Giacomo della Porta. He also had the main entrance moved to Via Panisperna. (This is now the entrance to the Palazzo Aldobrandini.)
When, towards the end of the 19th century, the Via Nazionale was constructed, part of this historic garden had to be destroyed.
What remained was a kind of hanging garden with a high wall, on which three pavilions are located. The oldest of the three dates back to the 16th century. The other two are imitations.
A 90 stair climb leads to the park. At the entrance there is a fountain decorated with sculptures and columns. To the right, there is a terreplein with a row of camellias and lemon plants. There are also several types of palm trees in the park.
The villa is state property, while the park, including the pavilions, belongs to the city of Rome and has been public since 1926. The whole garden is full of statues and other decorations, which are, unfortunately, in a rather dilapidated state.
The name may be slightly confusing. What used to be the Villa Aldobrandini included both the park and the present Palazzo Aldobrandini. Nowadays, only the park is meant.