The Ludovisi district is the 16th rione of Rome. Its main point of interest is one of Rome‘s richest streets, the Via Veneto. The Via Veneto is characterized by a number of enormous palazzi, amongst which the extremely prestigious Palazzo Piombino Margherita, seat of the American Embassy. The Via Veneto thanks its fame especially to the movie Dolce Vita.Continue reading “Ludovisi District Rome”
Rome‘s 17th quartiere is called Trieste and is located more or less between the Via Nomentana, the Via Salaria and the Villa Ada park north east of the center of the Eternal City. Its main tourist attractions are the fairy-tale neighbourhood of Coppedé and the Catacomb of Priscilla.Continue reading “Trieste District Rome (Quartiere XVII)”
Nomentano is the name of Rome‘s 5th quartiere. It is located to the north of the historical centre and includes the La Sapienza University. The district is located east of the Via Nomentana and west of the Via Tiburtina. Its main tourist attraction is the Villa Torlonia, a biggish park with a number of small museums.Continue reading “Nomentano District Rome”
The district Sallustiano is Rome’s 17th rione and was named for the Gardens of Sallust (Horti Sallustiani). These are former gardens that had been commissioned by Gaio Sallustio Crispo, a historian and senator of the Roman Republic. Continue reading “Sallustiano district Rome (R. XVII)”
Rome’s 26th quartiere is called Appio Pignatelli. The name refers to the Via Appia and to an influential family by the name of Pignatelli.
Appio Pignatelli District Rome
The district is situated in the south eastern part of the city and has little to offer for tourists.
Rome’s oldest and most venerable golf club is located in Appio Pignatelli. The Circolo del Golf di Roma Acquasanta was founded by members of the British Consulate in the year 1903.
Quartiere Appio Pignatelli Rome (Q. XXVI)
Appio Claudio is the 25th quartiere of Rome. The name comes from Appio Claudio Cieco, who had the Via Appia Antica and a number of aqueducts built. Romans themselves usually call Appio Claudio, together with the adjacent Don Bosco, CinecittÃ .
The quarter is in the north-eastern part of Rome, between the Via Tuscolana and the Via Appia Nuova. On its east side Appio Claudio is bordered by the Via delle Capannelle.
The bigger part of the quarter was built in the second half of the last century, with money from the Ina-Casa. This was an organization founded by the Italian state with the aim of building houses all over Italy.
In those days people from all over the country were living in huts underneath theÂ Acquedotto Felice. This led to a lot of tension and petty crime in the area, a situation that did not get resolved until the 70’s.
Nowadays the area, which has completely been restored, is called the Parco degli Acquedotti (or the Parco di Via Lemonia). Ruins of several aqueducts (the Acquedotto Claudio, the Acqua Felice and the Acqua Marcia) can be seen here.
Salario is Rome‘s 4th and smallest quartiere. It is named for the old Roman consular road Via Salaria, which crosses Italy to end in Porto d’Ascoli on the opposite coast.
Salario District Rome (Quartiere IV)
Salario used to be bigger but in 1926 was divided into Salario and Savoia. Savoia is the name of Italy’s former royal family. The name of this district was changed to Trieste after world war II when the Royal family was forced to abdicate.
Until the end of the 19th century, when a lot of construction work was being done in Rome, there were hardly any inhabitants on the other side of the Porta Pia, also because a big part of the area was occupied by huge villa’s like the – still existing – Villa Albani.
There are not very many tourist attractions in the quartiere Salario. Apart from the above-mentioned Villa Albani the MACRO Museum and the Catacombs of Santa Felicita are worth mentioning. The MACRO Museum is housed in an old Peroni beer brewery.