It is Rome’s newest bridge and was inaugurated on the date of the city’s 2,764th anniversary, April 21, 2011. (It would actually be more accurate to say that the Ponte della Musica is Rome’s newest bridge over water, since in June 2012 the Ponte Ostiense was inaugurated. This bridge only crosses railway and metro tracks, though.)
The Ponte della Musica gets its name from the Auditorium Parco della Musica, though it might as well have been called Ponte dello Sport, since the Olympic Stadium, the Flaminio Stadium, the swimming and the tennis stadium as well as the Palazzetto dello Sport are all in the near vicinity.
Originally the bridge was only meant for pedestrians and cyclists, but later it was adapted to also allow public transportation vehicles. It is 18m wide and has a length of 190m and consists of two steel arches. Staircases connect the bridge to each river bank.
The Ponte della Musica was designed by the British firm Powell Williams, who won an international competition in 2000.
The Ponte Pietro Nenni is a bridge connecting the Lungotevere Arnaldo da Brescia (Prati) to the Lungotevere Michelangelo (Flaminio) in Rome. It is the only bridge in Rome that is used by the metro system.
The Palatine Bridge, also known as the English Bridge (Ponte Inglese), is a bridge that connects the Lungotevere Aventino in the rioneRipa to the Lungotevere Ripa in the Trastevere district.
Ponte Palatino Rome
The decision to build the Ponte Palatino was taken when the so-called Ponte Rotto(“Broken Bridge”) started honoring its nickname a bit too much. It was constructed between the years 1886 and 1890 and is one of Rome’s longer bridges, albeit not one of the more picturesque ones.
On the Palatine side of the bridge, which is called English because its traffic is considered to be going “the wrong way” from a European point of view, the Forum Boarium and the still functioning Cloaca Maxima can be found.
The Ponte Palatino was designed by Angelo Vescovali. It has a length of 155.5 meters and is 18.4 meters wide.
The Ponte Fabricio connects the Via di Ponte Quattro Capi on the Isola Tiberina (rione Ripa) to the Lungotevere de’ Cenci in the rione Sant’Angelo and is the oldest Roman bridge still in existence.
Ponte Fabricio Rome
It was built in the year 62 BC by Lucius Fabricius, the “caretaker of roads”, as can be read on inscription in red letters on both sides of the bridge’s travertino marble arches. Fabricio’s bridge was made from blocks of tufa, a typical Roman kind of clay, and replaced the original wooden version that had existed since 192 BC.
The Ponte Fabricio has also been known as the Ponte dei Quattro Capi (because of the two marble pillars with the two-faced God Janus) or the Pons Judaeorum (from the time when the Jewish community in Rome was forced to move into what is now known as the Ghetto).
The Pons Fabricius is almost 60m long and almost 6m wide. It consists of two big arches. Two smaller arches close to each bank are now underground and cannot be seen anymore.
Ponte Principe Amedeo Savoia Aosta is, not surprisingly, also known as the Ponte Principe and connects the Lungotevere dei Sangallo to Piazza Della Rovere.
The bridge is located near the Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II bridge and connects the San Giovanni dei Fiorentini church and the area of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II to the tunnel that leads to the Via Aurelia.
Prince Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta was the Viceroy of Ethiopia and had won a medal for military valor after his heroic defense of Amba Alagi, during World War II.
Work was begun in 1939 and finished in 1942. Its length is almost 110m and it is 20m wide and consists of three masonry arches covered with white marble. The middle arch has a window on each side.
During the work in progress a temporary iron bridge was built to deal with the flow of traffic.
The Ponte (Giacomo) Matteotti was constructed with the purpose of connecting two of Rome‘s most important and prestigious quarters, the rione Prati and the quartiere Flaminio.
Ponte Matteotti Rome
It consists of three brickwork arches, is almost 140m in length and has a width of 20m.
The Ponte Matteotti was built in 1924 and took 5 years to finish, to be inaugurated on April 21 of that year, as the Ponte del Littorio. The architect was Augusto Antonelli.
The original name referred to an Italian infantry division and has clear fascist overtones. After World War II the bridge was therefore renamed for a Socialist deputy who, in 1924, had been kidnapped and killed by Italian far-right thugs after having openly accused the fascists of corruption during the elections of that year.
The Ponte Duca D’Aosta in Rome is named after Emanuele Filiberto, Duke of Aosta, a commander of the Italian troops during World War I, and connects the quartiere Flaminio to the Foro Italico. It was designed by the architect Vincenzo Fasolo.
Ponte Duca d’Aosta Rome
Construction of the bridge was begun in 1939, when the Foro Italico was still called Foro Mussolini, and the work was completed in 1942. The fascist era is reflected in its embellishments, such as the marble pylons at the head of the bridge depicting World War I battle scenes sculpted by the Tuscan artist Vico Consorti.
The Ponte Duca d’Aosta consists of one single arch and is 200m long and 30m wide. The arch itself has a mere length of 100m.
The Ponte Risorgimento (or Ponte del Risorgimento) was built in occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Unification of Italy. It connects the Lungotevere delle Armi and Piazza Monte Grappa in the quartiereDella Vittoria to the Piazzale delle Belle Arti in the Flaminio district.
Ponte del Risorgimento Rome
The Ponte del Risorgimento was designed by Francois Hennebique.
Construction of the Ponte Risorgimento started in 1909 and was finished in 1911, just in time for the Royal Procession in occasion of the opening of the 1911 Exhibition of Art and Ethnography.
The bridge, which consists of one single arch, was the first in Italy to be made of reinforced concrete.