The Palazzo delle Scuderie del Quirinale in Rome was built between the years 1722 and 1732, but was not turned into a museum until 1999. It does not have a permanent collection, but only hosts (usually extremely prestigious) temporary exhibitions.
Scuderie del Quirinale Rome
Opening times and admission
Opening hours: Until January 21st, 2018 from 10.00 till 20.00h; Fridays and Saturdays from 10.00 till 22.30h. (Special openings: January 1 from 16.00 till 20.00h; January 6 from 10.00 till 22.30h. Admission: 15 Euros (discount 13 Euros; age 0-6 free). The price of an “open” ticket, which allows you to enter at any date and hour, is 20 Euros, plus 2,50 Euros administration costs.
Present exhibition Scuderie del Quirinale Rome
The present exhibition is dedicated to Raphael.
History and description
The palazzo that houses the Scuderie del Quirinale was built on top of the ruins of the Roman Temple of Serapis. Construction lasted from 1722 till 1732.
Until 1938 the building functioned as a stable where horses and carriages were kept, then it was changed into a garage and as of December 21st 1999 it is a museum. The transformation into a museum was the work of Gae Aulenti.
The building was constructed against the wall of the Giardino Colonna.
The very first exhibition consisted of a number of paintings on loan from the Hermitage and in 2010, to celebrate its first 10 years as a museum the Scuderie hosted the very first exhibition with all of Caravaggio‘s major paintings.
The total surface of the exhibition space is more than 3000 m².
From one of its windows there is a spectacular view over the Eternal City.
Address and public transport
Address: Via 24 Maggio, 16 – Rome (tel. +39 06 81100256). The nearest bus stop is Nazionale/Quirinale (40, 60, 64, 70, 170, N7, N8, N9, N15, N18).