Santi Luca e Martina Church Rome

The Santi Luca e Martina Church is located next to of the Roman Forum in Rome. From the viewpoint on the Capitol Hill there is a beautiful view over the dome of this church. The interior was used in 2016 for the TV series “The Young Pope” as the interior of the St. Peter’s Basilica. The official name of the church is Santi Luca e Martina al Foro Romano.

Santi Luca e Martina Church Rome

Address, opening hours and entrance fee

The address of the Chiesa dei Santi Luca e Martina al Foro Romano is Via della Curia, 2 – Rome (tel. +39 06 6798848 (Accademia Nazionale di San Luca) ). Bus: 51, 85, 87, 117, 186, 810, FRP. Opening Hours: Every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Entrance fee: Free.

History and description

Santi Luca e Martina Church Rome
Santi Luca e Martina Church

The Santi Luca and Martina Church was built in the 7th century by order of Pope Honorius I on the edge of the Roman Forum. At the time it was only dedicated to Santa Martina, who died a martyr’s death in Rome in the year 228.

Pope Sixtus donated the church in 1588 to the Accademia di San Luca (where drawing and painting were taught).

It was rebuilt by, first, Ottaviano Mascherino and then (in 1635) Pietro Da Cortona. This last renovation was completed in 1669, the year in which Da Cortonadied.

During the renovation, the remains of Saint Martina were found by accident.

The facade of Santi Luca and Martina Church is convex. It consists of two levels. At the very top is the coat of arms of Urban VIII, with statues depicting angels on both sides. The dome seems to be slightly behind the façade.

The interior of the church is characterized by a Greek cross with four apses.

Since it is forbidden to film or make TV series within the walls of the Vatican, Paolo Sorrentino used the interior of the Santi Luca e Martina Church in 2016 for his TV series “The Young Pope”.

Attractions

On the floor of the central nave you can see a memorial plaque under which Pietro Da Cortona himself is buried.

A plaque on the wall of the right chapel refers to a restoration commissioned by Pope Alexander IV in 1256.

At the main altar is a “San Luca Painting the Madonna”. This is a copy by Antiveduta Gramatica of an original painting by Raphael that can be seen in the Accademia di San Luca.

In the crypt, which was designed by Pietro da Cortona, two reliefs by the hand of Alessandro Algardi can be seen.

The altarpiece in the transept was painted by Sebastiano Conca.

The pendentives of the enormous dome are adorned with the symbols of the four Evangelists and were made by Camillo Rusconi.

Santi Luca e Martina Church – Via della Curia 2, Rome

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *