Santi Bonifacio and Alessio Church Rome

The Church of the Santi Bonifacio and Alessio is located near the more famous Church of Santa Sabina at the Aventine Hill in Rome. The basilica was probably built between the 3rd and 4th century, but was restored several times. The crypt underneath the church hosts the relics of Thomas Becket.

Santi Bonifacio and Alessio Church Rome

Address, Opening Times and Admission

Address: Chiesa dei Santi Bonifacio e Alessio – Piazza di Sant’Alessio, 23 – Rome (tel. +39 065743446). Opening hours: The church is only open on special occasions, including religious holidays and wedding ceremonies. Admission: Free.

Special Events

Occasionally religious concerts are held in the church.

History and description

Santi Bonifacio and Alessio Church Rome
Santi Bonifacio and Alessio Church

The very first version of the Santi Bonifacio and Alessio Church was built towards the end of the 3rd century. Initially it was just dedicated to Saint Boniface, but in the year 1217 Pope Honorius III added Alessio.

This happened after a restoration ordered by this pope.

The architecture of the church shows signs of the multitude in restorations. The bell-tower is Romanesque, the portico medieval and the facade was completed in the 16th century.

The last important restoration took place in 1860.

The adjacent convent, built by the Crescenzi in the 10th century, nowadays houses the Istituto di Studi Romani.

The interior constists of 3 naves.

Attractions Santi Bonifacio e Alessio Church Rome

Madonna of Sant'Alessio - Sanit Bonifacio and Alessio Church Rome
Madonna of Sant’Alessio

The entrance is decorated with cosmatesque ornaments.

The stairs under which the holy Alessio is supposed to have lived can be seen in a glass reliquary.

The cloister next to the church is surrounded by granite columns that were taken from older buildings.

The sepulchral monument for Eleonora Boncompagni Borghese can be seen in the south side of the basilica.

The Chapel of Charles V of Spain is located in the southern transept.

The Madonna of Sant’Alessio was brought to Rome by the saint himself. This icon stems from the 12th or 13th century.

Public transportation

The nearest bus and tam stop is Emporio (Bus: 23, 74, 280, 716, N3, N9, N10; Tram: 3, 8.).

Piazza di Sant’Alessio, 23 – 00147 Rome

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

RSS1
Follow by Email1
Facebook1
1