The Santa Rosa Church is one of the most important churches in Viterbo, as the local saint, Santa Rosa, is buried there. The church is also called the Santa Maria delle Rose Church. The house where the saint was born is located near the church.
Santa Rosa Church Viterbo
The Santa Maria delle Rose Church is part of the Monastery of San Damiano.
Originally the church was a lot smaller, but the original version from 1235 was demolished in the 14th century and then rebuilt.
In 1632 the church underwent a thorough facelift and in 1850 another renovation took place.
The dome is an addition from 1913. Originally it was covered with majolica’s, but these were later replaced by lead. The architect was Arnaldo Foschini.
The church has three naves. Most of the works of art on display are from the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century.
Santa Rosa herself is buried in the church, in a display case of metal and glass.
During the renovation of 1632 a number of 15th century frescoes by Benozzo Gozzoli were destroyedHowever, the 17th century painter Francesco Sabatini had first made copies that can now be seen in the Museo Civico.
On the first altar of the right nave there is a wooden crucifix from the 17th century.
The poliptych depicting the “Madonna and Child on the Throne between Saints Rosa and Katarina of Alexandria” was painted by Francesco d’Antonio da Viterbo.
Casa di Santa Rosa
The House of Santa Rosa is located in a street formerly called Via della Ficunaccia, but later renamed Via Casa di Santa Rosa.
It is a small house with an external staircase. There are hardly any decorations, as the saint was of simple lineage and belonged to the poorer part of the population.