The Sant’Ivo alla Sapienza Church in Rome is located in the Sant’Eustachio district in the historical centre of the city. The church is especially famous because of Bernini‘s dome and the beautiful courtyard. It is considered to be one of the masterpieces of baroque architecture.
Sant’Ivo alla Sapienza Church Rome
Opening hours and admission
Opening times: Sundays from 09.00 till 12.00 hours. July and August closed. Admission: Free.
History and description
The Chiesa di Sant’Ivo alla Sapienza was built between 1642 and 1660. The architect was Borromini who had been commissioned to construct the church by Pope Urban VIII Barberini. It was Gian Lorenzo Bernini who had recommended Borromini.
The church was built in the small courtyard of the Palazzo della Sapienza, which was the seat of the University of Rome between the 15th century and 1935.
The facade is characterized by two rows of rectangular windows that are separated by pillars. There is a big window with an arch above the main entrance. The facade is crowned by the famous lantern with the spiral top.
The ornaments in the church herald the rococo art movement.
Works of art and other highlights
The most striking aspect of the church’s interior is its dome, which is divided into six brightly colored parts.
Giovan Battista Contini designed the main altar. The “Saints, Ivo, Leo, Pantaleon, Luke and Catherine of Alexandria” above this altar was mostly painted by Pietro da Cortona. After his death his pupils finished the painting.
Address and public transport
The address of teh Chiesa di Sant’Ivo alla Sapienza is Corso del Rinascimento, 40 – Rome (tel. +39 066864987 of 063612562). Rione: Sant’Eustachio. Bus: 70, 81, 87, 186, 492, 628, N6, N7.