The Sanctuary of San Gaspare del Bufalo is located in the Piazza San Paolo in Albano Laziale. The saint himself is buried in the San Paolo Church belonging to the monastery. The monastery is one of the most important pilgrimage destinations in the region.
San Paolo Church and San Gaspare del Bufalo Sanctuary Albano Laziale
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Piazza San Paolo, 4 – Albano Laziale, Tel. +39 069320175. Opening hours: From 08.00 till 12.30 and from 15.00 till 19.00. Admission: Free.
History and description
The San Paolo Church was built in 1282 at the behest of Cardinal Giacomo Savelli, the future Pope Honorius IV. The convent was constructed at the same time.
The baroque style of the interior is due to a restoration by Cardinal Marco Antonio Colonna in 1769. This interior shows a marked contrast to the nineteenth-century neoclassical facade.
The interior is embellished with various paintings made between the 17th and 18th centuries. A highlight is the “Anointment of St. Paul”, by one of Pietro da Cortona‘s pupils.
The fresco on the vault is probably attributable to Gagliardi, who was active in Albano in that period.
The remains of Saint Gaspare del Bufalo are kept in the church. He was the founder of the Congregation of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood. As a result the church is often visited by pilgrims.
In the Pitti Museum in Florence a painting by Gaspar van Wittel can be seen, which shows the convent when it was visited by Pope Clement XI in 1710.