The San Giovanni Bosco Basilica in Rome is located in the square of the same name in the quartiere Don Bosco. Its exact postion is between the Via Tuscolana and Centocelle Airport. It was built halfway through the 20th century.
San Giovanni Bosco Church Rome
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Viale dei Salesiani, 9 – Rome. Telephone: +39 06 710401235. Opening hours: Weekdays from 07.00 till 12.00 and from 16.00 till 19.30; sundays and holidays from 07.00 till 13.15 and from 16.00 till 20.45. In July and Augustus the church opens one hour later in the afternoon.
History and description
The Basilica di San Giovanni Bosco was built in the 1950’s by the Sicilian archtiect Gaetano Rapisardi.
The facade is characterized by a portico with three arches. The high relief above the central arch depicts the saint himself with a group of angels and was made by Arturo Dazzi.
The statues underneath the other two arches depict the archangels Gabriel and Michael. The artist responsible was Ercole Drei. The statues in the alcoves represent San Francesco di Sales, Pope Pius IX and Paus Pius XI.
Federico Papi was responsible for the bas-reliefs above the central bronze door underneath the portico. Attilio Selva created the bronze statues of the Redeemer and John the Baptist above the outer doors.
The dome is supported by pink pillars. Artworks representing the Stations of the Cross are attached to these pillars.
The silver crucifix, the aureola, the angels and the bronze candelabras near the main altar are made by Pericle Fazzini.
Brancaccio created the mosaic “Saint John in Gloria” in the back of the nave. The reliefs flanking this work were made by Monteleone, Venturini, Nagni and Ludovico Consorti.