The Fontana dell’Acqua Acetosa (“Fountain of the Vinegary Water”) is located in the Piazzale dell’Acqua Acetosa, to the east of the Villa Ada park in Rome. When the fountain was first built, its waters were supposed to have healing powers.
Acqua Acetosa Fountain Rome
The fountain as it can be seen today was constructed in the middle of the 17th century by Pope Alessandro VII Chigi and replaced another, less spectacular one that had been built by Pope Paolo V. Borghese in 1613.
The original fountain was designed by Giovanni Vasanzio, an architect of Dutch descent, whose real name was Jan van Santen.
The spot was chosen near a spring that provided water that was “healthy for kidneys, stomach, liver, spleen and numerous other illnesses.”
The water-lily fountain was designed by the painter Andrea Sacchi together with Marcantonio de Rossi, although for a long time people were under the impression that it had been done by Bernini.
However, the inscription below the coat of arms dates back to the time of Pope Paulus V.
The “healthy” water of the fountain was later found out to not to be very healthy after all. After a restoration in 1959 the fountain was connected to the normal Roman water mains.