The Fountain of the Frogs(Fontana delle Rane) is located in the Piazza Mincio in the Coppedé quarter of Rome. It is designed by Gino Coppedé, who was responsible for the entire whimsical neighbourhood.
Fountain of the Frogs Rome
The Fountain of the Frogs was constructed in 1924 and is thus one of Rome’s more recently built fountains. The architect is the man who designed the entire quarter, Gino Coppedé, who meant the fountain to be a sort of homage to Bernini‘s fountains.
The fountain consists of a low, circular basin, with four couples of frogs holding shells. In the centre of the fountain a higher basin can be seen with eight more frogs.
The most stunning aspect of the fountain is its location. It stands on the central part of a small roundabout, which is surrounded by a number of fairy-tale like buildings.
The Coppedé neighborhood in Rome is not an official district, but only a (very) small part of the quartiereTrieste. It is however so markedly different from the rest of the area that one may well speak of a separate quarter, which was also the intention of the architect, Gino Coppedé. Highlights are the Fountain of the Frogs and the Villino delle Fate.
Coppedé is really not more than some 40 buildings in the streets that center on the Piazza Mincio, the main square of the district. This square in itself is also really not more than a roundabout with a fountain, the Fountain of the Frogs, in the middle.
It is best to enter the area through the Via Tagliamento, a narrow street with an arch connecting the houses on each side. Below the arch hangs a large and rather impressive wrought iron lamp.
The buildings Coppedé designed seem to have been taken directly from a fairytale and are therefore often used in movies. A.o. the Italian director Dario Argento has used the buildings in some of his films. It also works the other way around: The entrance of the palazzo at Piazza Mincio n.2 is itself a perfect reproduction of a hallway in the movie Cabiria (1914).
Villino delle Fate
The Villino delle Fate (Piazza Mincio, 3) is one of the most striking buildings of the quarter. The architect built it between 1920 and 1927. It really consists of three buildings built back to back and surrounded by a small garden. The floor at the Piazza Mincio entrance is a round mosaic of three female musicians in Roman attire playing the lyre, the guitar and singing. The three fairies symbolize the three buildings themselves. The Villino delle Fate is completely a-symmetrical, with arches and friezes made of various types of material, including marble, terracotta, brick and glass.
Rome‘s 17th quartiere is called Trieste and is located more or less between the Via Nomentana, the Via Salaria and the Villa Ada park north east of the center of the Eternal City. Its main tourist attractions are the fairy-tale neighbourhood of Coppedé and the Catacomb of Priscilla.
The Mausoleum of Saint Costanza is located along the Via Nomentana in Rome an dis part of a larger complex that includes the Catacombs of Sant’Agnese, the Church of Sant’Agnese and a bigger basilica dating back to the times of Constantine.
The Catacombs of Sant’Agnese in Rome are part of a bigger structure including the Basilica of Sant’Agnese fuori le Mura (“Sant’Agnese outside the Walls”) and the Mausoleo di Costanza, which was built around the year 350.
The Catacombs of Priscilla (Italian: Catacomba di Priscilla) are the best preserved early Christian cemetery in Rome. It is also among the oldest and largest of all of Rome’s catacombs. Thanks to several inscriptions bearing the names of Peter and Paul one can deduce that it dates back to the 2nd century. In November 2013, after a 5 year restoration period, Priscilla’s Catacombs were reopened to the public.