The Via dei Banchi Vecchi is one of the most beautiful streets in the center of Rome and even though it is very short it still manages to run through three rioni: Ponte, Parione and Regola.
Via dei Banchi Vecchi Rome
It starts almost at the end of the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and goes off in south-eastern directions to end after a couple of blocks and split up into the Via del Pellegrino and the Via di Monserrato.
Originally the Via dei Banchi Vecchi was divided into two parts, the Via della Chiavica di Santa Lucia and the Via dei Banchi. The first part got its name from a church (Santa Lucia del Gonfalone) and a sewer and the second part because of the presence of the mint and of a number of banks.
When the mint was moved the street came to be called the Via dei Banchi Vecchi and the street the mint was moved to, on the other side of the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, the Via dei Banchi Nuovi.
Tourist attractions in the Via dei Banchi Vecchi are the above-mentioned Santa Lucia del Gonfalone church and the Palazzo Crivelli.
Via dei Banchi Vecchi – Rome
The Ponte Sisto in Rome connects the Via Pettinari in the rione Regola with the Piazza Trilussa across the river in the Trastevere district. Particularly at night the Ponte Sisto is often extremely crowded, since it also connects the Campo de’ Fiori (one of the busiest squares at night, with many pubs and pizzerias) with Trastevere, which is Rome’s number one nightlife quarter.
Continue reading “Ponte Sisto Rome”
The Palazzo Spada is a building in the historical center of Rome and houses the small Galleria Spada museum, which is located on its first floor.
Palazzo Spada Rome
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Piazza Capo di Ferro, 13 – Rome (tel. +39 06 68212743/68131065/68131079/68212736. Opening hours: The piano nobile can only be visited after a written request. (For more information visit the “Visite Guidate” section of the official website of the Palazzo Spada.
History and description
It used to be the property of Cardinal Girolamo Capodiferro, who had it constructed on top of already existing buildings that were owned by his family. The architect was Bartolomeo Baronino. Work on the palazzo started in 1548 and most of it was finished in occasion of the 1550 Jubilee.
In 1632 the building was acquired by Cardinal Bernardino Spada, who bought it (for 3200 scudo’s) off one of Capidiferro’s inheritors and the name was accordingley changed from Palazzo Capodiferro to Palazzo Spada.
Bernardino straightaway commissioned a number of reconstructions that were to take almost 30 years to complete and included Borromini‘s famous gallery, which through optical illusion appears three times as long as its actual length.
The Galleria Spada art collection was originally assembled by members of the Spada family itself, including Bernardino.
In 1927 the Palazzo Spada was purchased by the Italian State and it is now the seat of the Italian Council of State.
The garden of the Palazzo Spada faces the river Tiber.
Piazza Capo di Ferro, 13 – Rome
The Ponte Mazzini is a bridge that connects the Lungotevere dei Sangallo (rione Regola) to the Lungotevere della Farnesina in the Trastevere district.
Continue reading “Ponte Mazzini Rome”
The Galleria Spada is a small museum in Rome. It is housed in the Palazzo Spada in the historical center of the city, just off the Campo de’ Fiori. Continue reading “Galleria Spada Rome”
Palazzo Farnese, nowadays the seat of the French Embassy in Rome, was commissioned by Alessandro Farnese (1468-1549), who in 1534 was to become Pope Paul III and from that moment on greatly expanded the building, in order to underline the status and power of the Farnese family.
Continue reading “Palazzo Farnese Rome”
The Via Giulia is a narrow street in the historic center of Rome. The street meanders more or less parallel to the curves of the river Tiber and the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II.
Continue reading “Via Giulia Rome”
The neighbourhood that is now the Regola district, the 7th rione of Rome, was part of the Ancient Roman quartiere Campo Marzio. Nowadays the district is one of the most picturesque parts of the city.
Continue reading “Regola District Rome (Rione VII)”
The Jewish Museum (Museo Ebraico) in Rome is part of the complex containing the city’s monumental synagogue. It was opened in 1959 in order to create an environment where the religious objects collected by the Jewish community of the city could be displayed. Apart from the permanent one there is also often a temporary exhibition.
Continue reading “Jewish Museum Rome (Museo Ebraico)”
Piazza Farnese is located slightly to the south of the much more famous Campo de’ Fiori. It is hard to find a bigger contrast than that between these adjacent squares though. Where Campo de’ Fiori, particularly during the daily market in the morning and the lively atmosphere caused by the restaurants and pubs at night, is rowdy and chaotic, Piazza Farnese is still and serene.
Continue reading “Piazza Farnese Rome”