The Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna (National Gallery of Modern Art) in Rome, like the Galleria Borghese and the Etruscan Museum, is located in the Villa Borghese. It has a great permanent collection of 19th and 20th century, especially Italian art, but also hosts temporary exhibitions, often several at the same time. Continue reading “Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna Rome”
The Villa Borghese is probably the most famous park in Rome and one of its biggest ones, together with the Villa Doria Pamphili and the Villa Ada. With the Galleria Borghese, the Modern Art Gallery, the Etruscan Museum and a number of smaller museums within its borders, it may well be called the city’s museum park.Continue reading “Villa Borghese Rome”
The National Etruscan Museum in the Villa Giulia (Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia) is housed in a beautiful palazzo in the northern part of the Villa Borghese Park in Rome. Its extensive collection shows archeological finds from the age of the Etruscans, a people who lived in (especially) the northern part of Lazio in pre-Roman times. Continue reading “Villa Giulia Etruscan Museum Rome”
Villa Poniatowski is a historical building in the north-west corner of the Villa Borghese Park in Rome. Part of the building is now used a secondary seat of the adjacent Villa Giulia Etruscan Museum. The original 15th century villa was modified by the famous 19th century architect Valadier.Continue reading “Villa Poniatowski Rome”
The Catacomb of Saint Panfilo is located along the Via Salaria Vecchia, to be more precise underneath the present Via Paisello and the Via Spontini. The present entrance of this catacomb is inside the Santa Teresa di Bambin Gesù in Panfilo Church. It is normally not open to tourists.
San Panfilo Catacomb Rome
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Via Paisiello, 24 – Rome (tel. +39 06 735824) District: Quartiere Pinciano. Bus: 910. Opening hours: Like many smaller an dless well-known catacombs the San Panfilo Catacombs can only be visited with permission of the Pontificia Commissione di Archeologia Sacra.
History and description
The presence of many so-called “a capuccina” tombs (that resemble the roof of a house, with rows of slanted tiles) indicate that people were buried here as early as the 3rd century. This impression is supported by some of the inscriptions found in the catacombs, one of which is dated 298 AD.
The oldest level of these catacombs, which was reached by means of a long staircase, was created with the so-called “a pettine” system. A higher level was added in the 4th century to be followed by a third floor.
This last floor consists of a hallway, beginning neat the staircase. This hallway is more disorderly than the other two levels.
There is a cubicolo doppio (double cubicolo) in the oldest one of the hallways, which had apparently necessitated the destruction of a number of already existing loculi. These extensively decorated spaces had been built by two freed slaves and dedicated to their former masters, Teofilo and Ponziana.
Panfilo’s relics are supposed to be kept in this cubicolo doppio. According to the Martyrologium Hieronymianum, a 7th century list containing all martyrs, Saint Quirino and Saint Candido are also supposed to be buried in these catacombs, but no remains have been found yet to support this.
Panfilo’s catacombs can only be visited after writing to the Pontificia Commissione di Archeologia Sacra.
Via Paisiello, 24 – Rome
The Casa del Cinema is a city-run movie theater and exhibition space in Rome. It is located inside the Villa Borghese park and will be used for several events and movie showings during the annual International Film Festival of Rome.
Casa del Cinema Rome
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Largo Marcello Mastroianni, 1 – Rome (tel. +39 06 423601). Opening hours and admission depend on the event.
History and description
The history of the Casa del Cinema starts in 1833, when the Borghese enlarged the Villa Pinciana through the acquisition of some adjacent vineyards and confining villas. One of these was the Villa Manfroni Bernini, which bordered the Aurelian Walls near the Porta Pinciana.
At the time there was a building consisting of an older and a newer part, the newer being lower and less refined. The building was restored by the architect Luigi Canina to be used as a restaurant, but after having been damaged during fights between Mazzini and the French troops (1849) ended up being used as a stable for cows and a milk factory.
When the Villa Borghese became property of the city of Rome (1903) the Casina kept being used that way, but in the 1930’s it was transformed into a luxury restaurant called Villa Umberto-Casino delle Rose.
The next transformation came in the 60’s when it became a dancing, called “La Lucciola”. In 1976 the owners made some unauthorized modifications to the building and only after 25 years of legal wrangling restoration work was started, guided by the use of early 20th photographs.
The Casa del Cinema was inaugurated in the building in 2004. There are three projection halls (Sala Deluxe, Sala Kodak and Sala Gian Maria Volontà), two exhibition spaces, a cafe (the Cinecaffé) and a restaurant (Casina delle Rose) in the building.
The two exhibition spaces have been named after the directors Sergio Amidei and Cesare Zavattini, representing Italian cinema “from A to Z”.
During the summer there are open air theater performances.
Largo Marcello Mastroianni, 1 – Rome
The Galleria Borghese is one of a number of interesting museums in the Villa Borghese, which also has the Etruscan Museum and the Modern Art Museum within its grounds. The museum is especially famous for its permanent collection, but every so often also organizes prestigious temporary exhibitions.Continue reading “Galleria Borghese Rome”
The Fontana delle Vittorie Alate, or “Fountain of the Winged Victories” can be found on the Viale Goethe in the Villa Borghese park in Rome.
Fountain of the Winged Victories Rome
It consists of an ancient Roman sarcophagus with carvings depicting garlands of fruit and the winged victories the fountain is named after. On top of the sarcophagus there is a sculpture of a mask with a dolphin on each side.
The mask was made by the sculptor Della Porta and spits water into the basin below.
The fountain of the Winged Victories was placed in the park towards the end of the 19th century after having been taken away from the Piazza della Rotonda. There were another three fountains in the Piazza della Rotonda, but their present whereabouts is unknown, although thought to be in one of the city’s warehouses.