Santi Luca e Martina Church Rome

The Santi Luca e Martina Church is located next to of the Roman Forum in Rome. From the viewpoint on the Capitol Hill there is a beautiful view over the dome of this church. The interior was used in 2016 for the TV series “The Young Pope” as the interior of the St. Peter’s Basilica. The official name of the church is Santi Luca e Martina al Foro Romano. Continue reading “Santi Luca e Martina Church Rome”

Tarpeian Rock Rome

The Tarpeian Rock (Rupe Tarpea) is the rock wall on the south side of the Capitol Hill in Rome. It faces the Roman Forum and it is from this steep 25 meter high cliff that criminals during the Roman Republic were thrown down to die. The luxury fashion house Gucci is financing a restoration of the monument, which is supposed to be completed in 2021. Continue reading “Tarpeian Rock Rome”

Basilica of Maxentius Rome

The Basilica of Maxentius (Basilica di Massenzio) is one of the largest monuments in the Roman Forum in Rome. This former courthouse was the model for the construction of the first churches in Rome, which thus came to be called basilica‘s. Continue reading “Basilica of Maxentius Rome”

Capitoline Hill Rome

The Capitoline Hill, for which the seat of the American Congress is named, was the most central hill of ancient Rome. At its southern side stood the Temple of Jupiter, which was the focal point of the Roman world. It is here that the most important ceremonies and rituals took place. Throughout the city’s history, the Capitol has remained the seat of municipal government. Today’s city council, the Comune di Roma, meets in the Palazzo Senatorio on the Piazza del Campidoglio. Continue reading “Capitoline Hill Rome”

House of Romulus Rome

The House of Romulus (Casa Romuli) is located on the western slope of the Palatine Hill in Rome. It is one of a number of huts that were discovered here in 1946. Holes along its circumference indicate where the walls and the doors were. Apart from its foundations not much is left of the original hut. Continue reading “House of Romulus Rome”

Palatine Hill Rome

The Palatino (“Palatine Hill”) is one of the famous seven hills of Rome. It was the first one that was inhabited. According to legend Romulus founded Rome on its slopes, in the year 753 BC. Some years ago the Lupercale, the cave where Remus and Romulus are thought to have been fed by the she-wolf, was discovered.

Continue reading “Palatine Hill Rome”

Santa Maria in Aracoeli Church Rome

The Basilica of Saint Mary of the Altar of Heaven (Santa Maria in Aracoeli) is located at the top of the Capitol Hill in Rome and is still the church of Rome’s city council. The biggest attractions of the church is the so-called Buffalini Chapel.

Continue reading “Santa Maria in Aracoeli Church Rome”

Vittoriano Rome

Rome‘s Monument for Vittorio Emanuele II is also known as the Vittoriano or the Altar of the Fatherland (Altare della Patria). It was built as a celebration of the greatness and majesty of Rome and can be seen from almost anywhere in the city. Since 1921 the “Unknown Soldier” is buried in the monument. The style is neo-classical. Not everybody is equally impressed by the monument as some of its nicknames, including “Wedding Cake” and “Typewriter”, testify. Continue reading “Vittoriano Rome”