The district called Trevi is the 2nd rione of Rome. In the times of the Roman Republic it existed of two separate rioni, Alta Semita and via Lata.
Trevi District Rome (rione II)
The name Trevi is supposed to be of Latin origin, the word trivium referring to the three streets leading to the Piazza dei Crociferi, near the Trevi Fountain.
In the times of the empire the part of Rome near the river was densely populated, whereas the areas on higher land were quieter and populated by fewer, but wealthier Romans. After the fall of the empire people moved to lower grounds whereas construction on the higher parts of the city came to a standstill.
In the Renaissance period many churches and fountains were built in the area. The Pope owned a lot of property in the area around the Quirinal hill, which added to its prestige and importance.
During the reign of Napoleon the Quirinal was to become the center of Imperial power. Unfortunately for the man his empire crumbled before he could fulfill his plans.
The Quirinal did get an important role when Rome became Italy’s capital, in 1870.
The most important monument in the area is of course the Trevi Fountain. In the Via del Nazzareno a part of the aqueduct leading water to the Trevi Fountain can be seen. Interesting squares are Piazza Barberini (with the Palazzo Barberini) and the Piazza del Quirinale (with the Palazzo del Quirinale). The shopping street Via del Corso is one of the most famous ones of its kind. Santa Maria di Loreto is one of the better-known churches. In the old stables of the Quirinale Palace, there is a museum called the Scuderie del Quirinale.