Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II Rome
The bridge was built with the aim of connecting the historical centre of Rome to the Vatican City and was designed by Ennio de Rossi. Although the Ponte Sant’Angelo existed already, this older bridge could no longer cope with the influx of people into the Prati district after Rome had become the capital of a unified Italy.
It consists of three arches and has a length of 110m. At the heads it is decorated with winged statues of the Goddess Victoria on pillars, while the allegorical sculpture groups on the bridge itself are made of travertino marble, and symbolize “The Unification of Italy”, “Freedom”, “Oppression Conquered” and “Loyalty to the State”.
Though De Rossi‘s design was made in 1886 the bridge was not inaugurated until the year 1911.
Close to the Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II some remains of the old Pons Neronianus can still be seen to stick out of the water.