The Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere is the most central and important square in Rome‘s Trastevere district. It is named after the basilica dominating the piazza. Built by order of Saint Callixtus, it was the first official church in Rome. Nowadays, especially in the afternoons and evenings, street artists take possession of the square.
Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere
The most important building in the piazza is obviously the Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere, with its portico and imposing façade.
The building to the left of the basilica is the Palazzo San Callisto, which was built in 1613 and is property of the Holy See.
The central fountain has become a meeting point for vagabonds. Though it was built in 1692 (by Donato Bramante), it is by some to be considered to be Rome’s oldest, since there has been a fountain on this exact site since the days of Emperor Augustus.