The Piazza del Plebiscito is the central square of Viterbo and as such has some of the most important buildings of the city facing it. It is also known as the Piazza del Comune.
It was created in the middle of the 13th century, in an area that used to be occupied by the cemetery of the Church of Sant’Angelo in Spatha.
Tourist Attractions in the Piazza del Plebescito
- The Torre dell’Orologio is the tallest building in the square and has two lions on its corners.
- Palazzo dei Priori: 13th century building, together with the Palazo del PodestÃ seat of Viterbo‘s town hall.
- The Palazzo del PodestÃ is connected to the Palazzo dei Priori by means of the Pinacoteca.
- Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo: Now the seat of the prefettura van Viterbo.
- The Church of Sant’Angelo in Spatha contains a sarcophagus that has a legend attached to it.
- Palazzo delle Carceri: This building is divided in the middle by the entrance to the Via Cavour.