Piazza Borghese Rome
The neighborhood where the Piazza Borghese is located used to belong to the Borghese family. This family settled in the area in the 16th century. Pope Paul V and Cardinal Scipione Borghese were responsible for the enlargement of the area between the Via di Ripetta and the San Girolamo degli Schiavi Church. Until the 19th century the square remained property of the family.
On the north side it is bordered by the Palazzo Borghese, on the west side by the Palazzo della Famiglia and on the northwest side by the Faculty of Architecture.
The Palazzo Borghese, thanks to its unusual shape, is often nicknamed Cembalo (“Harpsichord”). Nowadays, one wing of this building is used as a hotel and resaurant/lounge bar.
Originally the square bordered the Via di Ripetta. This changed between 1923 and 1928, when the faculty, which is part of the Sapienza University, was constructed inbetween.
The nearest bus stop is Ripetta (70, 81, 87, 492, 628, C3, N6, N7, N25).