Palazzo Madama Rome
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Piazza Madama – Rome (tel. switchboard +39 06 67061; tel. guided tours 06 67062177). Opening hours: First Saturday of the month (except August) from 10.00 till 18.00. Admission: Free.
History and description
The Palazzo Madama was built in 1503 by order of the Florentine Medici family, who wanted to have a residence in Rome in order to be able to maintain their influence in the Papal city.
The Palazzo Madama was constructed on top of the ruins of the Baths of Nero (Terme di Nerone), in what used to be known as Campus Martius, which is not to be confused with the present rione Campo Marzio.
The building was named after Margaretha of Parma, bride of Alessandro de Medici, who later was murdered. After his death Margaretha continued to live in the palazzo and was married to the 14 year old Ottavio Farnese, grandson of Pope Paul III.
In the 16th century Caravaggio lived in the Palazzo Madama for a while, as a guest of Cardinal Francesco Maria Delmonte.
In the 19th century the balcony of the Palazzo Madama became the site of the Italian lottery draw.
The main entrance of the building, which became the seat of the Italian Senate in 1871, is in the Corso del Rinascimento.