Palazzo Incontro Rome
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Via dei Prefetti, 22 – Rome. At the moment the building is not accessible.
History and description
The Palazzo Incontro was built in 1765, by the architect Giovanni Paolo Burij. At the time the area where the construction took place was still property of the Ospedale di San Maria della Pietà dei Poveri Pazzi.
The Palazzo Incontro has a typical late baroque facade and a small courtyard with a big travertine marble fountain in the shape of a nymphaeum.
In order to have the Palazzo Incontro built, several older buildings had to be demolished. One of these was the Cappella della Vergine (Chapel of the Virgin), which was however re-constructed nearby.
In the 18th century, as happened with many prestigious buildings owned by religious orders, the Palazzo Incontri was divided up into smaller parts which were then rented out to wealthy families.
When the Unification of Italy took place the palazzo was claimed by the Italian State.
At the moment the Palazzo Incontro is the property of the Province of Rome. It was completely restored between the years 2004 and 2007 and is now an exhibition space.