The Palazzo del PodestÃ is one of two buildings in Viterbo that together form the Town Hall of this city. The other one is the Palazzo dei Priori.
The Palazzo del PodestÃ was constructed in 1264, but not much is left of the original structure, since several reconstructions in the course of its existence have completely altered the building.
Left of the original are part of a 13th century window, some bits of wall and some of the merlons that used to crown the building.
The big balcony on the first floor was added in 1700.
The statue of the lion and palm tree, on a column on the right side of the facade, is the symbol of Viterbo.