The Palazzo Celsi is a historic building in the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II in the rione Pigna in Rome. Nowadays the ground floor of this 16th century palace is mostly taken up by shop space.
Palazzo Celsi Rome
Address: Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 18 – Roma.
History and description
The Palazzo Celsi was constructed in the end of the 16th century, but because the Celsi family was not happy with the result a complete reconstruction was ordered in 1678. The architect of this work was Giovanni Antonio De Rossi.
After the last representative of the Celsi family had passed away, in the early 17th century the building was acquired by the Viscardi‘s and subsequently by the Giannelli‘s. In the 19th century the Mercatili Bernetti family bought the palazzo and added one floor.
The facade of the Palazzo Celsi used to have 12 windows per floor and a great entrance between two ionic columns. The entrance is adorned with a shell, while the windows are decorated with eagles, shells and mythological beings.
The cornice is also decorated with eagles and crossed swords (the Viscardi coat of arms).
Unfortunately the ground floor has undergone numerous changes, thanks to the various shops that have, literally, opened their doors in the Palazzo Celsi.