The building that houses the Museo di Roma in Trastevere used to be a Carmelite convent. In 1875 it became property of the city of Rome. It has both a permanent collection and temporary exhibitions.
Museo di Roma in Trastevere Rome
In 1918 a children’s sanatorium was founded there. It was named for Ettore Marchiafava, an expert in the treatment of malaria, which was a common disease in the Trastevere, which was very marshy at the time.
In 1970 it was reconstructed and received a new name: Museum of Roman Folklore and Poets. The theme of the museum was 18th and 19th century Italian popular art and it was filled with works originally found in the Museo di Palazzo Braschi and the Gabinetto Comunale delle Stampe.
The nucleus of the collection is formed by the so-called Roman scenes, reconstructions of daily life in Rome 1in the 19th century. Mannequins dressed in period costumes can be seen in different environments, a.o. a pharmacy and a pub. The scenes are based on the works of Bartolomeo Pinelli.
A big part of the Museo di Roma in Trastevere is dedicated to the water color paintings by Ettore Roesler Franz, a collection which came into possession of the city of Rome in 1883 and is named Roma Sparita (Disappeared Rome).
There are also paintings by other artists, characterized by themes of popular festivities like carnival and the San Pietro and Paolo festival. This takes place on June 29th and is dedicated to the patron saints of the city of Rome.
A room dedicated to Trilussa (1871-1950), a Roman poet writing in the Roman dialect spoken in Trastevere, is being prepared.