The Museo Civico of Viterbo is located in the convent of the Santa Maria della Verità Church. The entrance is right next to the church itself. Highlights are the ancient Etruscan sarcophagi and paintings by Sebastiano del Piombo.
Museo Civico Viterbo
Opening hours and admission
Opening Hours: The museum is open from 09:00 to 18:00 in winter and from 09:00 to 19:30 in summer. Closed on Mondays. Admission: 3,10 Euro; discount: 2,07 Euro; 65+ and 18-: Free of charge.
Description and history
The Etruscan collection of the Museo Civico was already exhibited in the 15th century. However, the rooms of the former monastery and cloister have only been in use since 1955.
Today the collection is arranged chronologically, from the Iron Age objects to the 19th century documents on the top floor.
In the cloister you will find the archaeological collection highlighting Etruscan and Roman times, with sarcophagi and tombstones from archaeological sites in the area.
On the second floor there are sculptures and other works of art from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.
The Pinacotheque exhibits several works by famous masters such as Sebastiano del Piombo, including a beautiful “Pietà”.
Another highlight isformed by a collection of designs of the Macchina di Santa Rosa. The Tomb of the Bella Galiana is also on display in the Museo Civico. Previously it stood, completely blackened, along the wall of the Sant’Angelo Church.
There is a fresco that used to adorn the old Porta San Pietro city gate.
During the renovation of the Santa Rosa Church in 1632, a number of paintings by Benozzo Gozzoli were destroyed. The painter Francesco Sabatini first made copies of them, which are now on display in the museum.
Address and public transport
The address of the Museo Civico is Piazza F. Crispi, 2 – 01100, Viterbo (tel. +39 0761348276 or 0761348275).