Gardens of Sallust Rome
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Via Sallustio, 21 – Rome (tel. +39 06 42011597). Visits are only possible with organized groups.
History and description
The Gardens of Sallust were created by the historian Sallust in the 1st century BC on a property that used to belong to Julius Caesar.
In 20 AD it became property of Tiberius and from then onwards a succession of Roman Emperors used it as a public garden.
In 410 Alaric‘s Goths managed to enter Rome at the gates of the gardens of Sallust and sack the city. Two centuries later the gardens were completely abandoned.
It was not until the early 17th century that Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi acquired the site and had the Villa Ludovisi constructed. During construction several Roman sculptures were found.
In 1894 the Villa Ludovisi was broken up and the area was divided into building sites.
Some works of art still visible in the Gardens of Sallust area
- A well preserved pavilion, with a circular dome, can be viewed at the Piazza Sallustio. It used to be located at the highest point of the gardens.
- Remains of a cryptoporticus that were found went building a garage for the U.S. Embassy (Via Friuli).
- A large cistern (corner of Via Bissolati and Via San Nicola da Tolentino, underneath the Collegio Germanico).
Works of art found during construction of the Villa Ludovisi and visible elsewhere in Rome
Two sculptures known as the “Dying Gaul” and the “Gaul Killing Himself and his Wife”. The first one can be seen in the Capitoline Museums and second one, which is also known as the “Ludovisi Gaul”, in the Palazzo Altemps.
The Borghese Vase
The Ludovisi Throne and the Boston Throne
The Crouching Amazon, which was found in 1888 near the Via Boncompagni.