The Francesco Trombadori exhibition in the Galleria d’Arte Moderna di Roma Capitale started October 13, 2017 and will last until March 11th, 2018. The exhibition shows some 60 paintings by this Sicily-born artist who spent most of his life in Rome.
Francesco Trombadori Exhibition Rome
Address, opening hours and admission
Location: Galleria d’Arte Moderna di Roma Capitale – Via Francesco Crispi, 24 – Rome (wheelchair entrance: Via Zucchelli, 7). Tel. +39 06 4742848 or 06 4742909. Opening hours: Tuesday till Sunday from 10.00 till 18.30 (December 24, 31 from 10.00 till 14.00). Closed: January 1, May 1, December 25. Admission: 7,50 Euros (6,50 Euros concessions). Roma Pass is valid. The title of the exhibition is L’essenziale verità delle cose. Francesco Trombadori. (Siracusa 1886 – Roma 1961).
The Essential Truth of Things: Francesco Trombadori
Although born in Sicily, Francesco Trombadori moved to Rome in the beginning of the 20th century. The exhibition centers on the paintings he made of the city between 1916 and 1961. Most works are on loan from a number of private as well as public collections in Italy.
The artist was born in Syracuse in 1886, as Francesco Trombatore. In 1907 he move to Rome and in 1913 he changed his name to Trombadori. His first exhibition was in Syracuse, in 1911.
Apart from the 60 paintings there are also a number of drawings, books, exhibition catalogues and newspaper articles from the artist’s archives in his studio in the Villa Strohl-Fern.
Works that are on display include “Siracusa mia!” (1919), “Il Viale di Villa Strohl-Fern” (1919) and “Alberi controluce” (1920).
The most inportant works of the 1920’s include “Natura morta con piatto olandese e frutta” (1922) and “Naked Girl” (1929). It is in this period that the city of Rome acquires many of his paintings for the Galleria d’Arte Moderna di Roma Capitale.
In the 30’s Trombadori writes for the magazine Circoli. Highlights of his own work are “Natura morta con i cavoli rossi, boccale e tela” (1937) and another “Young Girl” (1934).
From the 1940’s the “Landing of the Wounded Pilot” (1942) and “The Factory” (1950) can be seen.
During the 1950’s the artist’s meeting places are the Caffè Greco in the Via Condotti and the Rosati (Piazza del Popolo). It is during these years that Trombadori paints Roman landmarks such as the “Colosseum” (1958), the “Piazza del Popolo” (1959) and the “Campidoglio” (1960).