The fountain in the Piazza delle Cinque Scole in Rome is also known as the Fountain of Piazza Giudia or Giudea, since that was its original location until the old ghetto was demolished in 1888.
Piazza delle Cinque Scole Fountain Rome
The fountain was designed by Giacomo della Porta and carved in 1591 by the sculptor Pietro Gucci.
It is made of white marble and is characterized by a long white basin resting on a base of two steps. The marble came from the former Tempel of Serapis. From a higher central basin a jet of water falls into the lower one. The decorative sculptures depict four Gorgons with snakes in their hair. The coats of arms at the bottom are those of families whose members were among the magistrates of the city.