The Fountain of Piazza Nicosia was the first fountain built in Rome after the Acquedotto Vergine was reactivated.
Piazza Nicosia Fountain Rome
It was designed by Giacomo della Porta and originally embellished the obelisk in the Piazza del Popolo. When the architect Valadier was commissioned to re-design this square in 1823, he judged it to be too small in size for the Piazza del Popolo and had it taken away.
In the mid 19th century the fountain was partly rebuilt in its present spot in the Piazza Nicosia. Partly, because only the marble, ocatogonal basin was rebuilt. The baluster and the upper basin were constructed later.