Fiumicino

Fiumicino is of course known mostly for being the location of Rome’s international airport Leonardo Da Vinci (FCO), but it is also the name of the third biggest city in the province of Rome. The city is located at the end of the Via Portuense, at the delta of the river Tiber. There are several archaelogical excavations on its territory, including those of the Port of Trajan. The locality Fregene is a favorite beach destination for Romans.

All about Fiumicino

Tourist information

Town hall: Via Portuense, 2498 – Fiumicino (tel. +39 06 65210245). Postal code: 00054. Number of inhabitants: Approximately 80,000.

By car/public transport

By car: From Rome follow the A91 to the coast.

Public transport: The Terravision buses that provide a connection from the central station Termini to the airport then drive on to the city of Fiumicino itself.

Sights

Torre di Palidoro Fiumicino
Torre di Palidoro

The Sant’Ippolito Church was built in the 13th century on an earlier early Christian construction.

The Torre Boaccina as well as the Torre Nicolina were originally watchtowers along the coast. Since the 15th century, however, the coastline has moved considerably and now they are further inland.

A third watchtower is located in the district of Palidoro.

Outside the built-up area of the city there is a well-preserved necropolis. It was built between the 2nd and 4th centuries.

History

Fiumicino was built on the spot where in the 1st century the Roman settlement Portus Romae was located. It was commissioned by Emperor Claudius to replace the older port of Ostia, after it had become increasingly silted up.

After the invasions of the Barbarians and the Turks between the 5th and the 9th century, the city became more and more abandoned.

In the 10th century, the city was mentioned in a ecclesiastical script under the name of Flumen Micinum.

After the population had increased again thanks to the many hut-dwelling fishermen, Valadier was commissioned to create a new centre. The first foundations of the modern city were laid in the beginning of the 19th century. Work on this city was completed in 1840.

At that time the village consisted of no more than a church, a customs office, a post office, one hotel, a number of osterie and some ordinary buildings, a complex that can still be seen in its original state.

In 1880, thanks to the construction of a railway, a period of economic prosperity began.

During the Second World War Fiumicino was severely damaged.

Until 1992 the city was part of Rome, but from that year on it is a municipality of its own.

Fregene

Fregene is the most famous part of Fiumicino and a very popular beach spot with the Romans. It was originally an Etruscan settlement, but later became a Roman colony. In the course of the centuries the settlement fell into disrepair, which was caused by the many malaria epidemics. Nowadays it is a popular holiday spot.

Maccarese

Saxophone Museum - Maccarese
Saxophone Museum Maccarese

On 7 September 2019, the first saxophone museum in Italy was opened in the municipality of Maccarese. In the Museo del Sassofono about 600 saxophones can be seen. The smallest soprano saxophone measures 32 cm, the largest double bass saxophone about 2 metres.

Fiumicino, Province of Rome

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

RSS1
Follow by Email1
Facebook1
1