From October 26 until November 6 2011 the Papal Basilicas of Rome will host the 10th edition of the Festival of Sacred Music.
Festival of Sacred Music Rome 2011
In between there will be concerts at the Papal Basilicas of Saint Paul Outside the Walls (October 27), Saint Mary Major (October 28) and Saint John in Lateran (October 29), followed by one more concert at Saint Peter’s (November 5) and two more at Saint Ignatius (October 30 and November 5).
The Orchestra-in-Residence is the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and the purpose of the event is to increase people’s awareness of the work of the Fondazione Pro Musica e Arte Sacra which raises funds for the restoration of religious artefacts and buildings.
It is not unusual for the Pope himself to make an appearance at one of the events.
The schedule of the event is as follows (though changes may occur):
Wednesday October 26, 2011
- Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte Carlo plays the Coronation Mass K317 (Saint Peter’s, 5PM).
Thursday October 27, 2011
- Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra plays Bruckner’s Symphony No. 7 (Papal Basilica of Saint Paul’s Outside the Walls, 9PM).
Friday October 28, 2011
- Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte Carlo plays J. S. Bach, Symphony from the cantata Gott soll allein mein Herze BWV 169; W. A. Mozart, Concerto for violin and orchestra no. 1 K 207; A. Dvorzak Symphony no. 7, op. 70 (Papal Basilica of St. Mary major, 9PM).
Saturday October 29, 2011
- Orchestra del Festival di Musica e Arte Sacra Oratorio Society New York plays L. Boccherini, Stabat Mater and C. Saint-Saens, Requiem (Papal Basilica of Saint John in Kateran, 9PM)
Sunday October 30, 2011
- Orchestra del Festival di Musica e Arte Sacra Chorvereinigung St. Augustin, Vienna plays G. B. Pergolesi, Stabat Mater; W. A. Mozart, Ave Verum Corpus K 618; W. A. Mozart, Requiem K 626 (Basilica of St. Ignatius of Loyola in Campus Martius, 12 noon).
Saturday November 5, 2011
- Boys choir Talzer Knabenchor and Conductor: Gerhard Schmidt-Gaden sing Orazio Benevoli, Missa Tira Corda and Giuseppe Ottavio Pitoni, Psalm Dixit Dominus (Papal Basilica of St. Peter’s in the Vatican, 5PM).
- Orchestra e Coro del Teatro dell’Opera di Roma and Conductor: Jaap van Zweden play W.A. Mozart, Great Mass in C minor K 427 (Basilica of St. Ignatius of Loyola in Campus Martius, 9PM).
Sunday November 6, 2011
- Boys choir Talzer Knabenchor and Conductor: Gerhard Schmidt-Gaden sing Johann Sebastian Bach (Basilica of St. Ignatius of Loyola in Campus Martius, 9PM).