Except on Sundays, when there is little traffic, and in the month of August, when all the Romans leave town and there is even less traffic, cycling in Rome can be fairly hazardous.
The most interesting spot to ride a bicycle is the Appian Way, again especially on Sundays, when it is closed off for car traffic.
The Parco Appia Antica is a vast and interesting park with several ancient ruins to just ride through and enjoy the day. There are several point in and near the Parco Appia Antica where you can rent bicycles.
Punto Informativo Via Appia Antica 58/60
- Phone: +39 065135316 (Monday-Saturday: 9.30 AM till 1.30 PM and 2 PM till 5.30 PM (4.30 PM in the winter months)
- Cost: 3 Euros per hour for the first 3 hours, 15 Euros for the entire day.
Comitato per la Caffarella (Largo Tacchi Venturi)
- Phone: +39 333 7137257
- Hours: Sundays from 10 AM till 6 PM.
- Cost: 3 Euros per hour for the first 3 hours, 15 Euros for the entire day
Appia Antica Caffe
- Phone: 338 3465440 (Roberto) or 340 3198060
- Address: Via Appia Antica, 175
- Hours: All days except Mondays.
Vicolo di Tor Fiscale
- Phone: 347 9366168 o 333 8274894.
- Hours: Saturdays and Sundays from 9.30 AM until 00.30 PM and from 5 PM until 8 PM.