Corso del Rinascimento Rome

The Corso del Rinascimento in Rome connects the Piazza delle Cinque Lune to the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II. The street runs parallel to the long side of the Piazza Navona. The Piazza Madama divides the street into two sections. The Corso del Rinascimento forms the border between the districts of Parione (on the west side) and Sant’Eustachio (east side).

Corso del Rinascimento Rome

History and description

In 1931 a Regulatory Plan was created with the aim to create a direct route from the Ponte Umberto I to the Trastevere district. The first part of the plan, from the bridge to the Sant’Andrea della Valle Church, was finished. The second part was supposed to lead through the Campo de’ Fiori and the Via Giulia to the Ponte Sisto. However , this was never executed.

In order to create the new street many 17th and 18th century buildings had to be destroyed. The demolition of ancient irregular, winding streets such as Via del Pino, Via del Pinacolo and Via della Sapienza was not popular in Rome. Pasquino, one of Rome’s talking statues, punned: “Se questo รจ il Corso del Rinascimento, ogni aborto sarebbe un lieto evento” (“If this is the street of rebirth, every abortion would be a happy event.”)

On April 21, 1936 Benito Mussolini took his pickaxe and destroyed the first stone. The buildings replacing the old palaces were designed by Arnaldo Foschini and Salvatore Rebecchini.

Corso del Rinascimento Tourist Attractions

Palazzo Madama

Palazzo Madama - Corso del Risorgimento Rome

The most important building along the Corso del Rinascimento is the Palazzo Madama. This palace was the original Roman residence of the Medici family. In 1871 it became the seat of the Italian senate. The main entrance is on the Piazza Madama. The building can only be visited on the first saturday of the month (8 AM – 6 PM).

Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore Church

San Giacomo degli Spagnoli - Corso del Rinascimento Rome

The church on the right side, starting from the north, is the Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore Church. It is also known as the San Giacomo degli Spagnoli Church. The entrance to this church is on the Corso del Rinascimento side, but the more inpressive facade is on the Piazza Navona.

Sant’Ivo alla Sapienza Church

Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza Church Rome

The Sant’Ivo alla Sapienza Church, on the opposite side of the street, is the work of Borromini. It is built in the courtyard of the Palazzo della Sapienza. This church is particularly famous because of its spiral dome. The sumptious interior decorations are seen as harbingers of the decorative stule known as rococo.

Corso Rinascimento, Rome

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *