The Capitoline Hill is reached by climbing the large flight of stairs called the Cordonata, which was made for the triumphal entry of Charles V (1536) and designed by Michelangelo.
At the foot of the Cordonata there are two Egyptian lions, made of granite.
The bronze statue of Cola di Rienzo is by Masini, who placed it on antique fragments, to show that the Last Roman Tribune wanted to reestablish the Republic on the ruins of the Empire.
Cola di Rienzo was the son of an innkeeper who, after reading the classics, vowed to restore the glory and greatness of the Roman Empire.
His statue was erected in 1887, close to where he had been executed.
At the top of the stairs the statues of the Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux, can be seen.
Gregory XIII had them restored and placed them here in 1583, after they had been found near the Ghetto.
Sixtus V added the Trophies of Marius and the statues of Constantine and his son Constantine Caesar.