Castiglione in Teverina

Castiglione in Teverina is a small town just south of the city of Orvieto, just below the border between the regions of Lazio and Tuscany, in close proximity¬† to the A1 “Autostrada del Sole”.

Castiglione in Teverina city guide

The city lies in the Tiber Valley in an area distinguished by its volcanic mountains called the Monti Volsini and from its historical center offers a magnificent view f the surrounding countryside.

Its medieval center presents a jumble of small houses that seem to be vying for space. Once out of the center the houses and apartment buildings are more modern further apart.

Archeological finds of, mostly, utensils show that the area was already inhabited in prehistoric times. Later, Etruscan settlements had to make space for Roman and barbarian invasions.

The present village was founded in the 14th century, by inhabitants of the city of Paterno, which had been destroyed by the Monaldeschi in 1351.

During the later Middle Ages the city changed ownership many times, until the Farnese came and included it in the Duchy of Castro.

Tourist Attractions Castiglione in Teverina

  • Collegiata di San Filippo e Giacomo: Church that was completed in 1630.
  • The Rocca Monaldeschi is a 13th century castle.
  • The Rural Church of Madonna of the Snow (Chiesa Campestre della Madonna della Neve), built by Alessandro VI in the early 16th century.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

RSS1
Follow by Email1
Facebook1
1