The Via della Lungaretta in the picturesque Trastevere district in Rome runs exactly where, in the 2nd century BC, the Via Aurelia Nova was located. The street is split in two by the late 19th century Viale Trastevere.Continue reading “Via della Lungaretta Rome”
The present Via della Lungara follows the trajectory of an old road which near the Piazza Sant’Egidio used to deviate from the old Via Aurelia and continued northward towards the Vatican City. It then followed the present Via della Scala as far as the Porta Septimiana.Continue reading “Via della Lungara Rome”
The Corso del Rinascimento in Rome connects the Piazza delle Cinque Lune to the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II. The street runs parallel to the long side of the Piazza Navona. The Piazza Madama divides the street into two sections. The Corso del Rinascimento forms the border between the districts of Parione (on the west side) and Sant’Eustachio (east side).Continue reading “Corso del Rinascimento Rome”
The Via Vittorio Veneto in Rome was originally just called the Via Veneto, but after World War I the name was changed to “Vittorio Veneto” in honor of a battle having taken place at a village of that name. In reality everybody still calls the street Via Veneto, though.
Via Veneto Rome
History and description
The Via Veneto bacame famous in the 1950’s and 60’s because of its cafes and luxury hotels, which attracted the rich and famous, the would-be’s and the paparazzi. Federico Fellini‘s movie La Dolce Vita made the entire world aware of the street.
The street was constructed in the 19th century and meanders uphill to the Villa Borghese park. There are numerous interesting buildings along its sidewalks, the most conspicuous one of which is the Palazzo Margherita, which houses the United States Embassy.
Other palazzi of a certain grandeur are the Palazzo Coppedé and the Palazzo Excelsior (which has been turned into a hotel). The Palazzo Hotel Majestic, the Palazzo Hotel Balestra, the Palazzo Hotel Flora and the Palazzo Hotel Palace are other examples of buildings changed into luxury hotels.
In the middle of all this wealth stands the Chiesa di Santa Maria Immacolata a Via Veneto, otherwise known as the Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini. When asking directions you had better ask for the church with the bones, though, thanks to its crypt, which uses the skeletons of 4000 cappuccin monks to make a point about life and death.
Tourist attractions Via Veneto
The Palazzo Margherita is the seat of the American Embassy in Rome. The building is named for Queen Margherita of Savoy, who took up residence there after king Umberto I was murdered by the anarchist Gaetano Bresci in 1900.
Santa Maria della Concezione Church
The Santa Maria della Concezione Church is found on the right side when walking up the Via Veneto from the Piazza Barberini. It is often called Chiesa dei Capuccini, since it is run by Capuchin monks. The church was built in 1624.
The biggest attraction of the church used to be its Capuchin Crypt. This has now been made part of a small museum dedicated to the Capuchin Order. In the crypt the skeletons of a number of monks can be seen. Its walls are decorated with the bones of another 4000 monks.
The nearest metro stop to the Via Veneto is Barberini (line A). The closest bus stop is Veneto-Barberini (lines 53, 61, 62, 63, 80, 83, 85, 150F, 160, 492, C3, CINE, N1, N4, N5, N12, N25).
Via Veneto – Rome
The Via Tuscolana (SP215) is one of the main roads out of Rome. It connects the Eternal City with the present town of Frascati. Unlike most of the main roads out of the city it was not constructed in the days of ancient Rome but in the middle ages. The Via Tuscolana is one of the better known shopping streets not directly in the center of town.
Via Tuscolana Rome
Beginning to Porta Furba
The name Via Tuscolana is explained by the old name of Frascati, which used to be called Tuscolo. This town was destroyed in 1191. Although the street is medieval, parts of older stretches of road were used when the Via Tuscolana was constructed.
The present Via Tuscolana kind of took over the role of the Via Latina, which used to connect Rome to the Colli Albani.
In order to reach the Via Tuscolana it is best to exit the historical center through the Porta San Giovanni. The beginning of the street is just past the Piazza Re di Roma on the left side of the Via Appia Nuova.
The Porta Furba district boasts some ruins of the Acquedotto Claudio and the Acquedotto Felice. The two aqueducts make use of the same walls. Thie district is named after the Porta Furba itself, a gate over the Via Tuscolana.
Slightly further down the road you will find the Alessandro Severo Mausoleum, which was constructed in the 2nd century AD. Turn right into the Via del Monte del Grano.
Porta Furba to the Grande Raccordo
From here a small detour leads to some more Roman ruins. Turn right into the Via del Quadraro and then left into the Via Lemonia. To the right of the Via del Lemonia you will see the Parco degli Acquedotti, which more than honors its name. At the end of the street some ruins of the Villa delle Vignacce can be seen. From here the Viale di Roma Vecchia leads to the 13th century Casale di Roma Vecchia, which was built on the grounds of the Roman Villa delle Sette Bassi. Behind this building you can see a long stretch of the Claudio Aqueduct. The separate ruins were part of the Marcio Aqueduct.
The Villa delle Sette Bassi is de last bigger attraction before the ringroad around the city. This 2nd century villa was the second biggest of its kind outside the city walls.
Smaller ruins before the G.R.A. were part of a 3rd century Roman water cistern and a 2nd century columbarium..
Via Tuscolana outside Rome
Just before the ringroad the street splits. The southern part continues as Via Anagnina and the northern part is still the Via Tuscolana. Near the city of Grottaferrata the two parts reunite.
Via Tuscolana – Rome
The Via di Ripetta in Rome runs from the Piazza del Popolo to the river Tiber. Of the three streets that form the so-called Tridente it is the one on the right. Although following the trajectory of a 1st century BC Roman street, its present layout stems from the beginning of the 16th century.
Via di Ripetta Rome
History and description
The present Via di Ripetta was built by order of Pope Leo X. In those days it was still called Via Leonina. The Pope is supposed to have financed its construction with money he got from a brothel tax.
The street did not get its present name until 1704, after the construction of the Ripetta harbor. This harbor was called Ripetta to distinguish it from the already existing, bigger Ripa Grande harbor in Trastevere.
The Augustus Mausoleum was constructed in the 1st century AD by the emperor himself. It was meant to be a mausoleum for him and his family. The monument can only be seen from outside.
The Ara Pacis, or Altar Of Peace, was constructed in order to celebrate the peace restored in the empire after Augustus had returned from Spain. In 1995 the American Architect Richard Meier redesigned the building housing the monument. It is now a museum and hosts several prestigious exhibitions a year.
San Rocco Church
The San Rocco Church was built in the 17th century. Its facade is the product of a later design by Giuseppe Valadier.
San Girolamo degli Illirici Church
The Church of San Girolamo degli Illirici stand right next to the San Rocco Church. It is also known as San Girolamo dei Croati or San Girolamo degli Schiavoni.
Santa Maria Portae Paradisi Church
The Santa Maria Portae Paradisi Church was originally built in the 9th century. Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane renovated this church in the 16th century.Santa Maria Portae Paradisi Kerk: Oorspronkelijk 9e eeuwse kerk, in de 16e eeuw gerestaureerd door Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane.
Palazzo Capponi della Palma
The Palazzo Capponi della Palma (Via di Ripetta, 246) was built in the 16th century.
The nearest metro stop is Flaminio (line A). The closest bus stop is Augusto Imperatore/Ara Pacis (line 628, C3, N25).