Column of Marcus Aurelius Rome

The Column of Marcus Aurelius (Colonna di Marco Aurelio) is located in the centre of the Piazza Colonna along the Via del Corso shopping street in the heart of Rome. The reliefs on the column of honour depict some scenes from the emperor’s military exploits. The statue on the column depicts Saint Paul.

Continue reading “Column of Marcus Aurelius Rome”

Basilica of Neptune Rome

The Basilica of Neptune (Basilica di Nettuno) in Rome was built in the year 25 BC. It was constructed by Agrippa in the same period the Pantheon and other buildings like the baths and the Saepta were built. Remains of the basilica can be seen behind the Pantheon.

Continue reading “Basilica of Neptune Rome”

Trajan’s Market Rome

Trajan’s Market (in Italian: Mercati di Traiano) was a complex of buildings (mostly offices, but also shops) in the times of the Roman Empire. It was located on a vast area on the slopes of the Quirinal Hill in Rome, much vaster than can presently be seen, since modern buildings have been constructed on top of its grounds. Its top terrace is mostly taken up by a big rectangular building, possibly a warehouse, which today is used as the Museo dei Fori Imperiali.

Continue reading “Trajan’s Market Rome”

Pantheon Rome

The Pantheon is one of the Top 10 tourist attractions of Rome and one of the city’s best preserved monuments. Although it started its existence as a pagan temple dedicated to all the Gods it is at present a Catholic church and officially called Santa Maria ad Martyres. It has survived virtually unaltered since it was erected in the 2nd century AD. The structure of its domed interior is unique.

Continue reading “Pantheon Rome”

Spanish Steps Rome

The Spanish Steps (Scalinata di Spagna in Italian) in Rome were built between the years 1723 and 1725. The steps were designed by the architect Francesco De Sanctis and commissioned by Pope Benedict XIII, who wanted to connect the Piazza di Spagna (“Spanish Square”) to the Church of Trinita dei Monti.

Continue reading “Spanish Steps Rome”

Villa delle Vignacce Rome

The Villa delle Vignacce is one of the ruins inside the Parco degli Acquedotti in the southern part of Rome. It was one of the biggest villa’s found outside what was then the center of the city. Unfortunately there is not much left of the original construction. Sculptures and other artefacts found during the excavations are on display in museums in Rome and other cities.

Continue reading “Villa delle Vignacce Rome”