The Palazzo Salviati is located in the Trastevere district in Rome and is nowadays the seat of the Istituto Alti Studi della Difesa. Highlights are a chapel designed by Giulio Romano and vault paintings by Annibale Brugnoli.Continue reading “Palazzo Salviati Rome”
The Palazzo Colonna is located near the Piazza Venezia in the centre of Rome. The building has been owned by the same noble family for more than 900 years. The Galleria Colonna still houses part of the art collection established over the years by this Colonna family. The exhibition can only be visited on Saturday mornings.Continue reading “Palazzo Colonna Rome”
What is now the Ospedale del Celio in Rome is built on the area that used to be occupied by the ancient Villa Casali. After the unification of Italy a big part of the villa was ddestroyed to make space for new constructions.
Ospedale del Celio Rome
The villa started its existence as property of the family Massimo, who later sold it ti the family Teofoli. Later Marquis Mario Casali inherited it from his wife Margherita di Sertorio Teofili.
At the end of the 17th century, the Casali had a house constructed by the architect Tommaso Mattei. They also had an enormous garden laid out.
In 1871 the city decided to develop the area. The owners of the land were supposed to build houses and the city would take care of the infrastructure.
Initially most of the villa was saved. However, in 1884, having decided to build a military hospital on its grounds, the city bought everything and five years later completely destroyed it. More than 50000 m² of green area disappeared.
The new military hospital was constructed between 1884 and 1889. It was designed by Colonel Luigi Durand de la Penne together with the architect Salvatore Bianchi.
It consists of a series of 30 pavilions, connected by galleries and metal walkways.
Works of art
Of the works of art collected by Cardinal Antonio Casali many were lost. Others ended up in Copenhagen’s Ny Carlsbergh Glyptotek. These include the “Casali Sarcophagus”, the “Antinoo Casali” and a mosaic depicting the “Rape of Europe”.
During excavations for the foundations of the hospital several ancient structures were unearthed.
The Basilica Hilariana was built by the pearl merchant Manius Publicius Hilarus. One of the most interesting finds was a mosaic with a depiction of the evil eye, which can now be viewed in the Antiquario Comunale del Celio. The building consisted of a porticoed courtyard surrounded by various rooms. It was probably used as a sort of temple for the followers of the goddess Cybele, who was know as the Magna Mater (“Great mother”) and was a very important deity in ancient Rome. The base of a statue dedicated to Hilarus himself, was also found in this spot.
Other ruins uneartehd in the area include those of the house of the Simmaci, a senatorial family in the Imperial era.