The Ponte Ostiense is located next to the underground station of Garbatella in Rome. In June 2012 it replaced the Ponte della Musica as Rome’s newest bridge.
Ponte Ostiense Rome
The Ostiense bridge has a length of 160 meters and consists of three lanes of traffic in each direction, flanked by bicycle paths. The bridge is characterized by a steel arch, towering above the railway- and metro tracks it crosses.
Construction of the Ponte Ostiense, which connects the Via Ostiense to the Circonvallazione Ostiense, was meant to start in 2009, but archaeological finds caused significant delays. In the end building the bridge took two years, from 2010 until 2012.
It is Rome’s newest bridge and was inaugurated on the date of the city’s 2,764th anniversary, April 21, 2011. (It would actually be more accurate to say that the Ponte della Musica is Rome’s newest bridge over water, since in June 2012 the Ponte Ostiense was inaugurated. This bridge only crosses railway and metro tracks, though.)
The Ponte della Musica gets its name from the Auditorium Parco della Musica, though it might as well have been called Ponte dello Sport, since the Olympic Stadium, the Flaminio Stadium, the swimming and the tennis stadium as well as the Palazzetto dello Sport are all in the near vicinity.
Originally the bridge was only meant for pedestrians and cyclists, but later it was adapted to also allow public transportation vehicles. It is 18m wide and has a length of 190m and consists of two steel arches. Staircases connect the bridge to each river bank.
The Ponte della Musica was designed by the British firm Powell Williams, who won an international competition in 2000.
Ponte Milvio is a bridge in the north of Rome, in the Della Vittoria district, connecting the Piazzale Cardinal Consalvi to the Piazzale di Ponte Milvio. It is one of the oldest bridges of the city, and became famous when young Italian couples started attaching padlocks around its lampposts as a symbol of their love. What is not generally known is that without the Ponte Milvio the history of the world might have looked completely diffferent.
Ponte Milvio Rome
History and description
The bridge achieved an unexpected notoriety thanks to the movie Ho Voglia di Te (2007). The protagonists, who are young and in love, padlock a chain around one of its lampposts, and throw the key into the river, as a symbol of their eternal love. Thousands of teenagers followed the example and at one point there were even fears that the bridge would collapse under the padlocks’ weight. They were finally removed in September 2012.
The Ponte Milvio is a very old bridge, built where the northernmost part of Rome was to be found and where the Via Flaminio, the Via Cassia and the now less famous but in the olden days of the Roman Empire very important Via Clodia and Via Veientana came together.
It was first mentioned in the year 207 BC. At the time it was made of wood, but in 110 BC Marco Emilio Scauro had it reconstructed in brick.
In the year 312 the bridge was the background of the “Battle of the Ponte Milvio” (also called “Battle of Saxa Rubra”), in which Constantine I beat his supposedly stronger rival Maxentius. Before the battle Constantine had a vision of the Cross with the writing In hoc signo vinces (“in this sign you will conquer”), which convinced him to allow the integration of Christianity into the empire. Had he lost the battle, Christianity might not have survived.
Since the Middle Ages, the Ponte Milvio has been restored many times, first by the monk Acuzio, then (1429) by the architect Francesco da Genazzano, and later by Giuseppe Valadier who reconstructed the arches closest to the banks of the river and built a neo-classical tower at its north end (1805).
After the bridge had been demolished by Garibaldi (1849) in order to stop the French troops, Pope Pius IX had it reconstructed and commissioned Domenico Pigiani to sculpt a statue of the Immaculate Virgin. Another statue of Saint John Nepomuceno was already there and a further group picturing Jesus’ Baptism, which used to adorn the south end, has since been moved to the Museo di Roma a Palazzo Braschi.
Of the original Roman bridge only the three central arches are left.
When the Ponte Flaminio was built in 1951 the Ponte Milvio became relatively superfluous and in 1978 it was closed to traffic.
The area around Ponte Milvio has now become one of Rome’s favorite ones for young people to stroll around in and enjoy an aperitivo in one of its many cafes. There is also a fairly big weekday market right by the bridge.
The Ponte Sisto in Rome connects the Via Pettinari in the rione Regola with the Piazza Trilussa across the river in the Trastevere district. Particularly at night the Ponte Sisto is often extremely crowded, since it also connects the Campo de’ Fiori (one of the busiest squares at night, with many pubs and pizzerias) with Trastevere, which is Rome’s number one nightlife quarter.
The Ponte Risorgimento (or Ponte del Risorgimento) was built in occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Unification of Italy. It connects the Lungotevere delle Armi and Piazza Monte Grappa in the quartiereDella Vittoria to the Piazzale delle Belle Arti in the Flaminio district.
Ponte del Risorgimento Rome
The Ponte del Risorgimento was designed by Francois Hennebique.
Construction of the Ponte Risorgimento started in 1909 and was finished in 1911, just in time for the Royal Procession in occasion of the opening of the 1911 Exhibition of Art and Ethnography.
The bridge, which consists of one single arch, was the first in Italy to be made of reinforced concrete.
The Palatine Bridge, also known as the English Bridge (Ponte Inglese), is a bridge that connects the Lungotevere Aventino in the rioneRipa to the Lungotevere Ripa in the Trastevere district.
Ponte Palatino Rome
The decision to build the Ponte Palatino was taken when the so-called Ponte Rotto(“Broken Bridge”) started honoring its nickname a bit too much. It was constructed between the years 1886 and 1890 and is one of Rome’s longer bridges, albeit not one of the more picturesque ones.
On the Palatine side of the bridge, which is called English because its traffic is considered to be going “the wrong way” from a European point of view, the Forum Boarium and the still functioning Cloaca Maxima can be found.
The Ponte Palatino was designed by Angelo Vescovali. It has a length of 155.5 meters and is 18.4 meters wide.
The Ponte Cestio is one of Rome’s oldest bridges and was built contemporaneously with the Ponte Fabricio. It connects the Lungotevere degli Anguillara (Trastevere) to the Piazza di San Bartolomeo all’Isola on the Isola Tiberina in the rione Ripa.
Ponte Cestio Rome
It was built (around 45BC) by Lucio Cestio, who was the brother of Caio Cestio, the man who had a tomb in the form of a pyramid built for himself.
Restorations took place, first in 152 and later in 370, partly with materials taken from the Theater of Marcellus. One of the emperors having ordered the work was called Graziano, which caused the bridge to get a new name (see below).
The biggest change took place between 1888 and 1892, however, when the embankments of the Tiber were widened, and as a result also the two side arches had to be widened to their present size.
The bridge is a pedestrian bridge only and has a length of 54m and a width of 8m.
The Ponte Cestio has been known under many different names, such as pons Aurelius, pons Gratiani, ponte di San Bartolomeo and ponte Ferrato, the latter referring to the many iron chains that were anchored to it.
Ponte Regina Margherita is also known as the Ponte Margherita, and connects the Piazza della Libertà to the Lungotevere Arnaldo da Brescia in the Campo Marzio and Prati districts.
Ponte Regina Margherita Rome
The bridge is dedicated to Margherita di Savoia, who was the first queen of Italy. It was built between 1889 and 1891, the years when the Prati neighborhood, from what was then no more than countryside, changed into an urban area (with subsequent need for a better infrastructure).
The Ponte Regina Margherita is more than 100m long and has a width of more than 50m. It consists of three arches, made of brickwork and covered with travertino marble.