Santi Andrea and Claudio dei Borgognoni Church Rome

Santi Claudio e Andrea dei Borgognoni Church Rome

The Santi Andrea e Claudio dei Borgognoni Church is located in the Trevi district, a short distance from the Piazza San Silvestro in Rome. The church is one of several in the city with a French connection.

Santi Andrea and Claudio dei Borgognoni Church Rome

Address and Opening Hours

Address: Via del Pozzetto, 160 – Rome (tel. +39 066790310). Opening hours: 07.00 (Sunday 08.00) to 13.00 and 16.00 to 20.00. Entrance fee: Free of charge.

History and description

Santi Andrea and Claudio dei Borgognoni Church Rome
Facade

The church started its existence as a chapel to the hospital for the Burgundians in Rome built by Francesco Henry in 1662. The presence of many Burgundians in the area is also indicated by the name of the nearby Via Borgognoni.

In 1729, the church dedicated to the Saints Andrea and Claudio was rebuilt by the French architect Antoine Dérizet.

The façade consists of two levels. To the left and right of the entrance are statues of the two saints for whom the church is named.

The interior of the church is characterised by a Greek cross with a central dome.

Within the tympanum above the central window is the coat of arms of the French king (three lilies).

What to see

The statue representing Andrea (in the niche next to the main entrance) was made by Luc François Breton. Claudio was made by Guglielmo Antonio Grandjacquet. Both statues date from 1771.

There are several statues of angels in the style of Bernini.

Near the main altar, a large bronze globe is visible.

A plasterwork sculpture of the four Evangelists.

Curiosities

The Santi Andrea and Claudio dei Borgognoni Church is one of several churches in Rome with a French connection. Other examples are the San Luigi dei Francesi Church and the Trinità de’ Monti Church near the Spanish Steps.

Via del Pozzetto, 160 – Rome

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *