The Accademia di San Luca is an exhibition space in Rome. Its seat is the historic building Palazzo Carpegna, former seat of a painter’s guild where painting was also taught.
Accademia di San Luca Rome
Addres, opening times and admission
The address is Piazza dell’Accademia di San Luca, 77 – Rome (Tel. +39 066798850 or 066798848). District: Trevi. The art gallery on the 3rd floor is open from Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 12:30. Closed on Sundays. Roma Pass holders may enter free of charge.
History Palazzo Carpegna Rome
The Palazzo Carpegna was originally built in 1593, but was reconstructed between 1643 and 1650 by Borromini, who was also responsible for the decoration of the main hall, including the two identical columns at the entrance.
It was Bernini, however, who was responsible for the elliptical staircase near the entrance.
When the last Carpegna passed away leaving no heirs, the building came into the hands of Emilio Orsini de’ Cavalieri Sannesi, who had it rebuilt between 1732 and 1736 by the architect Francesco Ferrari.
It changed hands several times (the Patrizi Naro, the Colligola Monthioni) until it was acquired in the mid-19th century by the family of Luigi Pianciani, who, after the unification of Italy, was to become Rome‘s first mayor.
Between the 18th and 19th century the building was first rented out, then used as a monastery and later as office space.
In 1933 the Palazzo Carpegna was reconstructed, this time to adapt it to the requirements of the new residents, the Accademia di San Luca. The architects were Gustavo Giovannoni and Arnaldo Foschini.
Accademia Nazionale di San Luca
The Accademia is named after Saint Luke, the patron saint of artists.
The emblem isan equilateral triangle, formed by a brush, a cue and a compass, symbolising the equal value of painting, sculpture and architecture.
In 1872, the Academy was named “royal” and after the Second World War, when the kingship was abolished, “national”.
The art gallery with the permanent exhibition is located on the 3rd floor while the rooms used for temporary exhibitions are on teh ground floor.
There are paintings by famous masters such as Rubens, Van Dyck and Titian.
Unexpected delights are some self-portraits of female members of the Academy, like Lavinia Fontana and Angelica Kauffman.
A number of cityscapes show the changing face of Rome over the course of the centuries.
The major highlight, however, is part of a fresco by Raphael.